As an Electrical Contractor, I am in constant contact with energized electrical circuits. Over 1,000 people die from electrocution every year in the United States. I always teach the trade. I feel compelled to relay a safety program for home owners and maintenance folks alike. Complacency during electrical maintenance could become deadly. I have gotten metal in my eyes by not having safety glasses over my eyes. I received 3rd degree burns on my right index finger by touching a hot drill bit. We witnessed flash events on numerous jobs. I own my business. Money is time. I rush to complete jobs. I observe safety practices being ignored. As a young apprentice, I have been taught to never assume voltage wasn’t present. I got a shock by failing to use a voltage meter. We have witnessed arc flash incident due to improper use of tools. This electrician was terminating circuits in a live load center with non-insulated screwdrivers. He had actually removed the manufacturer’s insulation. I have listed some simple steps that can help you avoid electrical shock hazards.
Electrical Solutions: (4 Tips) How Electricians Avoid Electrical Shock
I always don the proper Personal Protective Equipment.
We stop the work, think about the job, ask for insight, and respond accordingly to our assessment.
You must verify voltage at the possible point of contact.
Our group always uses the proper tool fort the task.
Personal Protective Equipment is required by OSHA. These requirements are in place to protect the worker. I am responsible for my own accordance of these rules. I wear jeans and flame retardant shirts. We require our technicians to use safety glasses. Leather shoes with rubber souls should be worn. I use mechanic’s gloves while performing these tasks. They allow dexterity. We stress a on the job brief. This discussion allows for a proper assessment of our assignment. I discuss the plan with my customer. The customer can provide discussion of the components of the property. The response during execution is refined through this process. The company never allows our technicians to proceed without voltage verification. A simple voltage reading might save the life of the technician. Your safety system should include the use of tools with U.L. listings. The modification of any tool will eliminate a tool from use during the job. This may seem like a great deal to recall. A job that cannot be performed safely is a job that should never be performed.
http://CummingGAElectricalServices.com is a production of Argo Electrical Services!
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=George_Argo
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7481932